The Nutty Truth

Sharing my nutty knowledge with others to help keep our allergic children safe.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

The puppy blues - based on a true story!!

Do you remember bringing your baby home from the hospital?  Were you overwhelmed with sadness and fear of the unknown?  Did you ask yourself "When is the next time I will get a full nights sleep?!?!" I think many of us can remember that day vividly, and although my kids are now 5, 8 and 11, my memories are from 3 weeks ago.   Confused??  Well here we go........

We picked up our new puppy from the breeder on Friday December 17th, excited and nervous at the same time!!  I woke up the next morning, and much of the day, and the whole week that followed, is unbelievable and comical at the same time!!  I was in the shower and the tears started. I was crying, well.... bawling more like.  I couldn't stop.  The shoulders were going up and down, I couldn't see straight, and my mind was racing with thoughts of regret, sadness and wishing I had the ability to kick myself in the ass!!  WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING?!?!?!  A PUPPY??????  YOU'RE CRAZY!!!

I'm not sure anyone reading this will say "OMG, I thought it was only me!!!" but for some reason I think there may be a few of you out there who have had the Puppy Blues!!  The only difference betweeen bringing a puppy home vs. a baby, is there's no excuse for the extra 10lbs on your hips, and your boobs aren't leaking. 

After a week of puppy kisses, puppy breath, and puppy cuddles, my Lola was a keeper!!  I wouldn't trade her for the world, and my 3 kids are pretty cool too!!!  Heck, I'm keeping all 4 of them!!!  So yes I admit it, I cried, a lot, like a child whose double decker chocolate ice cream dropped off the cone, onto the dirty ground, throwing the 3-second rule out the window.  Yes, it was bad.  So the moral of the story is, think long and hard about getting a puppy, and don't be afraid to shed some tears, if you think you made the wrong choice.  Once you have picked up its poop, let it pee on you, and watched it as it sleeps, before you know it, you will wonder why you cried like a loser in the shower, while your unsympathetic husband tells you to "pull yourself together!!"   

Look on the bright side, your puppy can never tell you they hate you, say that you're the worst mother ever, or demand that you cook something different for dinner!!  Puppy love, there's nothing like it!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Omg you really made me cry and laugh. I have a 2 month old puppy that me and my boyfriend only have for 4 days now. In the beginning I was very stressed, nervous, anxious,.. everything at the same time. When I saw that little puppy I just didn't know what to think. And when she began to cry in the middle of the night two or three times, I was thinking: what a crazy idea to have adopted a puppy! I cried two times. I'm anxious. I just don't know what to do! I've wanted a dog all my life and now this? I hope this will go over, because it's a beautiful lovely puppy. I'm very happy I could tell my boyfriend my feelings. He understands it, but say that it will get better. I hope so! Thank you so much for this article.

    ReplyDelete