The Nutty Truth

Sharing my nutty knowledge with others to help keep our allergic children safe.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

All Oreo cookies are NOT created equal.

What goes better with a glass of cold milk, than a delicious Oreo cookie?  Well that all depends.  From Double Stuff to Wafer Stix, and Cakesters to Ice Cream Sandwiches, for those with nut allergies, it’s complicated.  Don't look for the well-known Oreo label, and assume that like the Original Oreo Cookie, that all their products are nut-free.   Yes it's true, all Oreo cookies are NOT created equal!!

I was browsing through my local grocery store, picking up a few items that I never seem to have enough of, milk, bread, cheese, and of course, cookies!!   I thought I would choose something different, instead of the boring old Arrowroot cookie!!!

I was amazed at the extensive line of Oreo products, but disappointed by the lack of consistently in it’s labeling.   You might also be surprised by my findings!!!

NUT FREE PRODUCTS:
Regular Oreos
Double Stuff Oreos
Golden Oreos
Mini Oreos
Oreo baking crumbs
Mini Cakesters – 100 calorie packs
Oreo ice cream cones
Oreo pie crust


NOT NUT-FREE:  (label reads “May contain”)
Full size Cakesters  
Oreo Sippers
Oreo Wafer Stix
Oreo Ice Cream sandwiches
Frozen Treats – 100 calorie size
Ice Cream


Considering that over 491 billion Oreo cookies have been sold since they were first introduced in 1912, Nabisco is definitely doing something right, but the confusion is clear. So pour yourself a glass of cold milk and choose your Oreo’s very carefully.   Happy Dunking!!






1 comment:

  1. thank you for this posting!! We just found out 3 weeks ago that our 3 yr old son has tree nut allergies :( I was going to make a chocolate pudding pie for our family for dessert tonight and I didn't know if Oreo baking crumbs were tree nut free :S Still don't think i'm taking a chance though. And what REALLY gets me is just b/c a product is PEANUT free doesn't make it TREE nut free, this is all very overwhelming

    ReplyDelete